Dorsett Marc Lyde
Email: click here to contact
- Admitted to bar, 1988, California and U.S. District Court, Southern, Eastern, Northern and Central Districts of California
- Mr. Lyde is an active member in the following organizations: State Bar of California, Butte County Bar Association; Board Member – Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada; California Medical Legal Committee; American Board of Trial Advocates: Certified Specialist in Medical Professional Liability Practice by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys and Association of Defense Trial Attorneys.
- As the managing partner of Leonard & Lyde, Mr. Lyde has 34 years of experience in civil litigation including extensive trial work, representation of physician clients in administrative hearings before the California Medical Board, Social Security Administration and hospital peer review committees. Additionally, for the past nine years, he has served as an Administrative Hearing Officer for Butte County, as well as the City of Chico.
Litigation and Trial Experience
- Mr. Lyde has tried 29 jury trials. Of these, 26 have been jury trials in medical professional liability cases, with 20 defense verdicts.
- Occidental College, B.A. in Ichthyology, 1976; Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic, Santa Barbara, California, 1981-1984. University of San Diego, J.D., cum laude, 1987.
- Wickline v. State: The Emerging Liability of Third Party Health Care Payors, 24.4 San Diego Law Review, 1987.
- Mr. Lyde coordinates and presents educational seminars and panel discussions in relevant topics related to medical professional liability litigation in his capacity as the co-chair of the Medical Malpractice Sub-Law committee of the Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California (ADCNC). Recent topics have included:
* Electronic Medical Records – The New Healthcare Landscape, 56th ADCNC Annual Meeting, Westin St. Francis Hotel, San Francisco, CA, December 10, 2015
* Secrets of Medical Malpractice Revealed – Part Deux, 55th ADCNC Annual Meeting, Westin St. Francis Hotel, San Francisco, CA, December 4, 2014
* Electronic Medical Records Seminar, ADCNC Presentation, Marines’ Memorial Club & Hotel, San Francisco, CA, November 14, 2014
* Secrets of Medical Malpractice Revealed – Part Un, 54th ADCNC Annual Meeting, Westin St. Francis Hotel, San Francisco, CA, December 12, 2013
* Defending Physicians Before the California Medical Board – The Inside Story; 53rd ADCNC Annual Meeting, Westin St. Francis Hotel, San Francisco, CA, December 6, 2012
* Appearing Before the California Medical Board, ADCNC Presentation, Walnut Creek, CA, October 6, 2011
Mr. Lyde also lectures by invitation, to various medical groups, hospitals and organizations on topics relevant to medical professional liability and jurisprudence, including:
* Medical Professional Liability, New Cardiovascular Horizons, Gaia Hotel & Spa, Anderson, CA, October 24, 2015
* Civility Matters Seminar, ABOTA, Sacramento Valley Chapter, Cal. Northern School of Law, Chico, CA, March 26, 2014
* Issues in Nursing Liability, Sigma Theta Tau Kappa Omicron Nursing Society, Panighetti’s Restaurant, Chico, CA, February, 16, 2012
* Nursing Liability, Butte Community College Nursing Science Program, Durham, CA, April 20, 2010
* Emergency Medicine Case Presentations, California Emergency Physicians Medical Group, Mercy Medical Center, Redding, CA, March 12, 2008
* Deposition Tactics for Physicians & Mock Deposition; Enloe Medical Center, Chico, CA, September 16, 1998
* Mock Trial – Litigation Education for Emergency Room Physicians, Butte County Emergency Medical Care Symposium, Enloe Medical Center, Chico, CA, November, 1993
* Pre-Hospital Care Liability Overview, Enloe Hospital Emergency Services, Enloe Medical Center, Chico, CA, June, 1993
- Mr. Lyde enjoys a diverse array of interests. While most of his free time is spent with his wife Carla cycling or manicuring his small vineyard, he also enjoys swimming, diving, archery and fencing. During the winter months one can often find Mr. Lyde in Tahoe, as he is an avid skier. Mr. Lyde is also an art and literature enthusiast, his favorite subjects being Egypt and the British Royal Navy.